Blog 6 P’s You Must Avoid To Foster Harmony & Sunday’s Thoughts While Shaving
MANAGEMENT – A SLIPPERY SLOPE
There’s an old saying that a company isn’t going any further than the management team can take it. Most people never realize the same is true about their organization.
I know you probably have a management book or two you like and writings from gurus that tell you how to manage your team. And you’re probably fond of that particular guru. That being said I want to share an idea with you that shifted my style dramatically and catapulted our business beyond our imagination.
99% or more of management books are not worth the paper they are printed on for those of us in home-based-businesses. Stay with me here.
A VOLUNTEER ARMY
The folks on your team are volunteers, they choose to be in business for themselves and they choose to be on your team but they can walk away at any time. These folks, like myself and you, probably have a full time job and are trying to squeeze 10 to 20 hours a week to build this business. What’s important is to remember they are being managed where they work and they probably joined because they don’t like being managed.
“We manage things, we work with people.” Coach Wooden
This statement radically altered our destiny. We decided to focus on helping people formulate goals, schedule time to put into the business, learn the skills they needed to succeed. We simply choose not to manage them and it paid huge dividends because it felt very different to them.
OLD HABITS DIE HARD
The folks in the traditional workplace carry traditional habits and reactions to stress. To get duplication you need trust and to get trust you need harmony. When we coupled the idea of helping people manage things instead of trying to manage them and a list of 6 P’s it was magic. Harmony became the handmaiden to a community that exceeded our expectations of what a team could accomplish working together.
Everybody has all kinds of slogans about how good things can be if people work together as a team but these 2 factors, eliminating the 6 P’s and managing things created a team that personafied those slogans.
THE 6 P’S
1. Political – Keep politics out of the mix. We’re not talking about democrat vs republican here. It’s the silly stuff like who’s going to give the presentation, who’s gonna close the meeting etc that can foster the same type of office politics they are used to, it’s just a bad habit. Don’t allow it to happen. How? Simply refuse to engage in gossip and if there is a disagreement between a couple of reps discuss it only when both are present.
2. Procrastination – People are used to management dragging their feet on everything from fixing the copy machine to getting a coffee machine. Underpromise and Overdeliver.
3. Pets – We all have our favorites but don’t show favoritism.
4. Pretending – Don’t make promises or commitments you don’t plan to keep and keep all the promises and commitments you make. A good way to give yourself a buffer zone is add mentally 20% to the amount of time you think it will take to deliver. Things occasionally go wrong, we all know Murphy’s Law is just a strong in the home-based-business as any other.
5. Pessimism – People join our business because they don’t have the time or money to do the things that they want and enrolling is an optomistic action. Never forget they hear negatives where they work so always be positive and make positive statements. There are challenges to be sure in our industry but be solution orientated and encourage people constantly.
6. Pettiness – Another hallmark in most offices, keep it out of your group. Take the high road by refusing to engage in petty conversations. Let them vent and say, “Hey, let’s call some new prospects and get you a few new reps this week. You’re great at this business and I see a giant and a leader within you.”
If you work with people, help them manage “things” and eliminate the 6 P’s you won’t need slogans or posters to sell the idea of team to your people because they’ll become the poster group of your company.
THOUGHTS WHILE SHAVING
The echo effect of manifesting a dream is bigger than the dream. I am just floored….and smiling.
Daughter Chelsea moving here in the next couple of months. Amazing visit about 6 weeks ago.
What made it great?
Chelsea is a strong person with a confident personality …..and, as a result clashed with my Mom from time to time.
The bond those 2 formed in 10 days brought tears to my eyes more than once. Mom is really starting to struggle, blind, balance problems, hearing problems……and Chels wants to come over and take care of her daily.
Mom’s excited, Chels has traveled Europe, done college and it all came down to this….family and a dream.
I had no idea the impact of manifesting the dream to live in Kauai would lead to the spectacular prevlidge of living in a multi-generational home.
Family, together…..inspired to reach…….don’t back off your own personal Kauai…… go for it.
Got a friend in NH. Henry. Blowing the doors of his networking deal……just moved into a new house, pool, 5 kids…tearing it up.
Asked him what the difference was……told me if an overweight, out-of-shape 61 year old like me can do P90X workouts 6 days a week, he can get on the phone when doesn’t feel like it.
DRAT!! Just about the time I had myself convinced that I need something easier.
You just can’t quit when people tell you what you are doing got them going.
So, between Henry and good friend Doug Karnuth who completed P90X twice…..I gotta keep pushing…..just like a networking deal, eh?
APROPOS OF NOTHING
1. Red Sox out of it but in NY this week hammering the Yankees. Pros don’t quit. 2. Don’t people get it? The bills passed in Congress and money doled out has created what is known as ‘reverse millionaires….meaning my grand kids are taking on over a million in debt to the government….EACH…..they are 11,8 & 6. Why would anyone with a brain cell not be in networking? geez…..3. Do people really believe the clowns selling generic systems to get leads? 4. How long will MLMs selling health products fail to tell the reps congress is trying to knock them all out [3x bills have reached the floor to make ALL supplements prescription only] …..to unify reps about this issue and a free software let’s you find your rep with 2 clicks and send him/her an email……is the smart move. Imagine all the health & nutrition reps, nation wide emailing? What power. Work with each other guys, and, please start treating reps like adults. 4. ‘Nice guys finish last’ is a lie. 5. Someday is just another way to say never.
5 UPDATES FROM MY MENTORS
I’ve been very lucky, considering what I look like and what I do. James Gandolfini [Tony Soprano]
Ain’t it cool that by learning a couple simple skills we don’t have to be lucky to make gang-stah money?
By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired. Franz Kafka
The Greeks did not give speeches when someone died…..they simpy asked, “Did he have passion.”
In my 20 years of networking…….in the end, after all the revolutionary products, amazing payplans…..conventions…..whatever……the winners critical difference is passion.
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star. Nietzche
I wonder how many people realize they could not appreciate greatness if it was not already within them…..hmmmm.
The belief your make it big and the self-doubt 10 minutes later…..family telling you it will not work…etc….is the chaos Nietzche is talking about. Embrace it, it’s fantastic.
It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds. President Sam Adams
Networking is a revolution to those in traditional business……keep lighting fires.
I spent twelve years training for a career that was over in a week. Joe Namath spent one week training for a career that lasted twelve years. Bruce Jenner, Gold Medalist.
How cool is what we do?
We do something right and get paid for the rest of our lives….the key here is Jenner and Namath did the work.
Your privacy is of great value to us. We will never resell your data to any third party.